Thursday, September 11, 2008

Molly's First

Molly and I went to Mom's Group today. It was a good time. But a little depressing at the same time. I'm a little emotional the last couple days to forewarn you. So I'll start with the depressing side.

I had completely forgotten that today was 9/11. Call me what you will, but it simply slipped my mind. But I was quickly reminded, and instantly just felt blah. It's a very sad memory. But I am glad there are so many courageous men and women willing to give their lives to fight for what our country was built upon. I just wish they didn't have to.
Then the next thing was there is a lady with two daughters, both of which have cistic fibrosis. She wasn't dwelling on it or anything, just mentioned it in simple conversation that I happened to hear. I almost started bawling just hearing her say it. Could you imagine having two daughters that unless some changes happen quickly, will most likely not live past their early 20's? How sad is that???

Anyway...on to a better side of the story. It was Molly's first experience with a large group of kids. And I could tell immediately she would LOVE it! She dived right in and started playing with several little kids. I kept my eye on her, but she was doing a great job.

...until she saw the walk-behind cart. Another little boy had it. She crawled over to it and stood up with him and essentially took it from him. He started crying. Another little girl, a little older than these two, came and took it from Molly to give it back to the boy. Molly joined him crying. Both of us went and rescued our very upset babies. Of course, Molly was fine instantly. I'm glad she'll finally get to learn what sharing is all about. I just hope I know how to handle it right.

Then quite a bit later, I notice Molly off playing with another little boy who was a few years older than her. Then I saw Charlie, an "oh so cute" 18-month old with bright red curly hair and is pretty solid, going toward Molly. He walks up to her and they begin chit-chatting. Molly is sitting on her knees. Charlie turns around and sits on her lap. I just started laughing so hard. Here's little 19 lbs Molly with a probably 25 lbs kid sitting on her lap. Well eventually it causes her to fall back and bump her head. I stand up and start heading that way when I see that she's crying pretty hard. Charlie gets off of her and lays down on top of her. I'm assuming to hug and comfort her...but..well...it wasn't working. I felt so bad for Molly, she was screaming like crazy by this point...but I couldn't help but laugh. The whole situation was so funny. I picked Charlie up and placed him aside and picked up Molly. Charlie's mom came to apologize. Of course, no need to, they're kids. But oh Charlie....what a funny little guy! And once again, Molly was fine instantly.

And otherwise the meeting went well. Just kind of a run down of the plans for the rest of the year. Please sign up for this and that. And I'm so excited to see who I end up becoming good friends with!

No comments: