Friday, September 19, 2008

A Busy Week

This has seemed to be such a crazy week!

Saturday, we were supposed to go to the Kansas State Fair. But it really looked like rain, and I figured it'd be really muddy, so I didn't want to have Molly out in it. It didn't end up raining, but it was still definitely muddy. So we didn't go.

That afternoon my dad called and said they were coming over. Without asking questions I said ok. They came to tell me that my great-grandpa had passed at 11:15. He's one of the hands in my picture above. That was a 5 generation picture that I really wanted to have before Grandpa headed "home." I took the news ok. Although I do wish we could have been closer, he was my great-grandpa, and he lived in another state, so it's not actually realistic. I had been to see him in the last few months. So I was ok. The sad part is that before that, I hadn't made any effort. I don't remember seeing him in several years. He admitted to me that day that he wouldn't recognize me on the street. But he was sure glad I came to see him. And that he got to see Molly too. I'll always remember how he just kept saying her name over and over so he wouldn't forget it. He wanted a picture of her too. And I gave him one. We put it on his photo board of the people he loved. I'm glad we made that board.

Tuesday Molly and I went with my parents down to Oklahoma. Richard had to go out of town for work so he was unable to join us. The viewing was Tuesday night and it turned out to be much tougher than I had expected. But some of my cousins were able to entertain Molly, so that was good.

Wednesday morning was the funeral. That was very tough too. And different from Tuesday night, nobody was able to take Molly for me. So I was dealing with my personal grieving, while trying to make a 13-month little girl happy. At least they played very upbeat music, or it may have not happened. I can honestly say Molly and I danced at my great-grandpa's funeral. I think that would make him happy. We all know he was dancing!

Funeral's are so tough for me. Even though he was old. Older than the average man's life expectancy, it's always hard to accept a passing. You never know when it's coming. Some people don't make it past a couple breaths of life at birth. Some live to be 120 years old. Funerals always remind me to cherish the people I love. And that's what causes me so much grief at funerals. I incessantly think about who might be next and that I should make an extra effort to spend time with them. And then I get frustrated. Why did my grandparents move all the way to Alabama? I can't just up and go see them. Not in the place we are in our lives right now. Someday, I hope to be able to. But will they still be around then? I'd rather not know.

On a happier note, last night I had my first Moms' Night Out. It was a lot of fun. We saw The Women. It was REALLY good. I never remember to be sure to watch a good women movie here and there. I'm definitely glad I went. I reminded me of friends and how I need to nourish those relationships well also. After the movie we went to get some drinks for a little while before turning in for the night. I really didn't know any of the ladies I was with, but I had a great time.

Richard and I have plans to go see My Best Friend's Girl either tonight or tomorrow. My parents are going to watch Molly for us. I'm excited to go out with him again too!

I think I'm going to take Molly to the park this morning. So I'll see you all later!

No comments: